If you fancy a salty snack but find you have nothing in your cupboards apart from a bag of raw peanuts, then it’s your lucky day!
Today we’re going to take a look at how you can make a healthy snack by roasting peanuts in the microwave. Yes, the microwave!
Ready to find out more? Let’s take a look.
Step by Step Guide to Microwave Roasted Peanuts
Follow our mini-guide below to see how you can make your roasted peanuts using some seasoning and a microwave.
What You Will Need
- 200 g unshelled raw nuts
- 30 ml cold water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Chinese five-spice
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- Pour the unshelled peanuts into a microwave safe bowl.
- Add 30 ml of cold water to the dish, carefully coating each peanut. Don’t worry too much if there seems to be a lot of water. It will evaporate once inside the microwave.
- Place the tub inside the microwave and switch it on to full power. Microwave the contents for around 3 minutes.
- Once cooked, use a towel or oven mitts to remove the dish from the microwave. Be careful as the dish will be hot.
- Stir the peanuts around before placing them back in the microwave for a further minute. You can continue to microwave in increments of 1 minute if you feel they need to roast for a little longer.
- Once microwaved to your required texture, transfer the peanuts to a large, foil-coated tray for seasoning.
- Spread the peanuts out evenly before coating them with your seasoning mixture. You can add or remove any of the ingredients and even play around with other choices!
- Once the peanuts have been coated, transfer them to a bowl and eat!
Alternative Ways to Roast Peanuts
Of course, there are a variety of ways to give your peanuts a roasting. We chose the microwave purely down to convenience.
Here are some other ways you can roast peanuts.
Roasting peanuts in the oven is another easy way to make this enjoyable snack. Here’s what you need to do:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and place your peanuts on a tray lined with a baking sheet.
- Once evenly spaced, coat with your choice of seasoning.
- Place inside the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Once cooked to your standards, remove and serve immediately.
You can always roast peanuts in a skillet. You don’t need to add any oil or butter, simply place them into the skillet dry and continue to roast. Once the color starts to turn, you can add the seasoning.
Air fryers seem to be all the rage at the moment, and you can turn just about any kind of food into a fried delicacy. Peanuts can also be used inside an air fryer.
The great thing about air fryers is that they are so simple to use. When it comes to roasting peanuts, simply place them inside the fryer and select the roasting option. The rest is history!
If seasoning is your thing, you might want to play around with flavors once your peanuts have been roasted. Here are a bunch of seasoning ideas that work well with this tasty snack.
If you’re not too fussed about seasoning, salt is the best option for you. This singular ingredient goes a long way and can take your freshly roasted peanuts from a 0 to a 19 with just a sprinkling!
Paprika is used in many savory dishes to add a kick to the dish in question.
The smoked variety is slightly spicier, making it a good choice for roasted peanuts. Similarly, cayenne pepper or chili powder can also be used to add a hint of spiciness to your movie-time snack.
We take it that you’ve heard of honey-roasted peanuts. If you have a sweet tooth, a drizzle of honey goes a long way. Honey and salt are a simple way to season your roasted peanuts, and it combines sweet and savory flavors.
Chinese Five Spice Powder
If you’re a fan of Chinese food, then five-spice may be the choice for you.
This sweet yet savory mix contains cinnamon, fennel seeds, star anise, cloves, and Sichuan peppercorn. You could even add a splash of soy sauce to your roasted peanuts for extra flavor.
Similarly, if you are a fan of Caribbean food, why not use jerk seasoning to add some serious flavor to your roasted peanuts. Be careful not to overload with seasoning as it can be quite overpowering.
A sprinkling of Italian seasoning with a dash of salt is the perfect combination if you love Italian food. This mixture of earthy herbs is a great way to take your roasted peanuts to the next level.
Take a look at our FAQ section below for more information about roasting peanuts in the microwave.
Can I use any peanuts?
Raw, unshelled peanuts are best as they are fresh and uncooked. However, salted peanuts are fine to use. Just remember that you don’t need to add salt as a seasoning at the end!
I don’t have a microwave-safe dish. What can I use?
Opt for a glass or ceramic container if you don’t have a dish or bowl that’s safe to use in a microwave. It goes without saying that you should never ever use a metal container inside a microwave, although we think you know that already!
How long can I store my roasted peanuts for?
Once cooked, you should store your roasted peanuts in an airtight container in a dry place away from sunlight. Your peanuts should last for 10 days to a fortnight before you will need to dispose of them.
Can I Use Shelled Raw Peanuts?
Yes of course! Shelled peanuts are fine to use, however you will need to de-shell them before roasting.
An End Note
It’s pretty easy to microwave roasting peanuts!
All you need to do is make sure you use a microwave safe dish or bowl, add your peanuts and follow the instructions above.
So the next time you have a cupboard full of nothing, think about this article for a quickie, an easy and, most importantly, delicious snack!